This week Athens will be the epicentre of Education through Sport; youth from all over the World will travel to Greek capital to take part in the 5th ISF Educational Games.
The event is organised by the Greek School Sport Federation and Greek Union of Graduates of Physical Education, and supported by ISF global partner Kinder+Sport.
Educational workshops and sporting activities will start on Thursday, April 19, at the site of the Ancient Olympia, and close five days later on Monday, April 23, with a Nation’s Night and Awarding Ceremony.
The 5th ISF World Educational Games will see three former Olympic Games Champions as the event’s ambassadors:
- Mr Aleksandr Karelin, former professional wrestler for Soviet Union and Russia, a three-time Olympic Champion and 9-time World Champion.
- Mr Makharbek Khadartsev, also a former professional wrestler for Soviet Union and Russia, Olympic and 5-time World Champion.
- Mr Dimosthenis Tampakos, Greek gymnast and Olympic champion (in men's rings) at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, and a silver medallist in Sydney (2000).
ISF Educational Games is an annual event which embraces the legacy of Olympic Games to teach youth about Olympism, sport values, volunteerism and the history of Olympic movement.
A 6-day event takes the students and their teachers on a journey through history and values of ancient Olympia. It also engages them into various sporting and educational activities, such as Modern Pentathlon, Inclusive Biathlon, Rugby (also inclusive) and different workshops on sport, volunteerism, education, etc.
Agenda for the 5th ISF Educational Games:
Visit and Educational Tour at Ancient Olympia
Sporting event in Ancient Olympic Stadium and the “KOTINOS”
EDUCATIONAL SPORT EVENT 1 at Ancient Olympia City Center
- modern pentathlon
- inclusive biathlon event
EDUCATIONAL WORKSHOP 1
Dr Clea Hadjistephanou Papaellina: “Values and Meaning of Volunteerism”
IOA EDUCATIONAL SESSION
Guided Tour to “Nemouta Waterfalls” at Erymanthos Mountain. Visit of Nemouta Village – teaching and practice of Greek Folk Dances.
Opening Ceremony – Olympia City Hall Outdoor Theatre
EDUCATIONAL WORKSHOP 2
Dr Ioanna Mastora: “Sport Values – Olympic Movement”
EDUCATIONAL SPORT EVENT 2
- Training Session & inclusive rugby event
Organised in Cooperation with Greek Rugby Federation
EDUCATIONAL SPORT EVENT 3
- Outdoor unified recreational Multi-Sport activities
Organised in cooperation with the Greek Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts.
ACROPOLIS/PARTHENON Guided Tour
EDUCATIONAL SPORT EVENT 4 at Panathenaic Stadium (the Venue of the 1st Modern Olympic Games on 1896)
- Guided Tour: Panathenaic Stadium History, Olympic Games History, Olympic Torches & Posters Museum
- Unified Sport Event in Panathenaic Stadium
Nations Night (“International Get-together”)
Prize Giving Ceremony
Follow the 5th ISF Educational Games on Facebook at: facebook.com/ISFWSS.EducationalGames