ISF President Call on reconsidering the potential of school sport EU SPORT FORUM 2022 School Sport Empowering Youth
2022 is the European Year of Youth. In this context, on the 17 June, during the occasion of the European Sport Forum 2022 in Lille, the European Commission gave the floor to the ISF to join the discourse on the challenges faced by young people in practising sport as well as present the events of the ISF.
ISF President Laurent Petrynka gave a speech which was ended with some final words to French Sports Minister Amélie Oudéa-Castéra.
The purpose of the ISF President's speech was to call on young people to become more involved in school sport from practice to leadership and was also directed at public authorities to reconsider the potential of school sport in addition to underlining how major sports organisations are beginning to consider schools as important partners.
Therefore, ISF is calling all stakeholders involved to:
- integrate school sport or a sporting dimension in all public policies related to youth
- adapt study programmes to the holistic development of youth by better linking the advantages of intellectual and physical learning processes
- offer sports lessons to all categories of the population from an early age to generate habits for life and not to make school sports an exception in their lives
- Integrate into sports-related activities educational modules to raise awareness of health and social issues
- Strengthen school sport through:
* Daily activities
* Quality facilities
* Support and training of physical education teachers
* A more extensive and varied offer of activities allowing a greater attraction and interest in the sport
- build more bridges between organized sport and educational institutions
ISF President Petrynka: "I am calling the Youth to be engaged with school sport as part of their life experience."